Why did you leave your last job?
- Never say you left your job for a negative reason, such as not getting on with the staff or because of the salary. If the reason was negative try and focus on something positive i.e. I wanted a new opportunity / I wanted to return to education.
- Try to give answers such as: I left because I wanted to move to Ireland to improve my English and gain more skills.
- I left because it was contract work and the contract was not renewable.
- I left because I wanted to do further training.
- Due to the recession many people were let go
- Finish by saying something positive e.g. I learned a lot in that position and developed skills in relation to _____-_________-____________. Which I would like to bring to your company.
I left my last job as a sales assistant because it was temporary contact however I learned a lot about professional customer service and merchandising products and I would like to bring that knowledge and experience to your company.
Breda Hegarty – Career Counsellor
If you would like to work on your interview techniques and learn the secrets and tips to making an excellent impression, contact Breda today!
Breda Hegarty is a fully qualified career guidance counsellor based in Dublin. Breda has been providing expert career counselling and guidance for 15 years, supporting adults to choose the right career and identify their skills. Her expertise is in the area of successful CV and cover letter writing, career planning and interview preparation.
To book an appointment contact Breda at 0879229533 firstname.lastname@example.org or linkedin.com/in/bredahegarty.